Friday, February 15, 2013

Introduction - Why am I doing this?

Hey guys! Thanks for dropping by on my humble blog. I haven't posted here in a while so I guess a re-introduction is in order. My name's Kev, an animator for around 6 years now. I've worked both for studios and as freelance, which I still am right now. In all of my years working on the animation industry, I can safely say that I learned and improved a lot both in the professional side and the creative artsy side.

One thing that is constantly bothering me though is the quality of my work. Like I said, my art had already improved a lot since I started out but despite that fact, it's still quite "not there" yet, if you know what I mean. It's enough to get me jobs, but not the high profile, really exciting ones. It's enough to get noticed, but it won't get anyone excited. It's like I'm in a limbo right now and I feel that if I don't do anything about it, my art and my career will stay average for my whole life. The last thing I want to be is average. Average is dangerous.  So I decided to do something about it - I made a list of the things that I absolutely needed to learn, the things that I know will come back and bite me in the later years of my career if I don't learn to do them properly now.

In short, I created an "art curriculum"* for myself.

I searched for online classes, the best books, and other ways I can improve my craft and organized them into separate school years. Each year will focus on just 1 or 2 major topics that will improve my art or animation greatly. The key word here is "focus".

"If you rub two sticks together without intensity, a million years would go by and it wouldn't even smoke. If you go at it with intensity though, sooner or later there will be combustion."

 And combustion, in the figurative sense, is what I aim for. I envision that after this course, my art will improve at such an amazing level that I will get the high profile jobs I want, I will be able to create my own animated shorts in the quality that I want, and maybe even inspire other artists to take their love for art to the highest level. I have the belief and passion, I know this will come true. 

So let's get started!!

-Kev

*See the full list here: http://boybogart.blogspot.com/2013/02/boybogarts-pro-level-art-curriculum.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment