Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ugly Jenny - Concept art take 2


Earlier today I posted my character designs for Ugly Jenny - my last, big homework for Force animation. 
http://boybogart.blogspot.com/2013/03/ugly-jenny-concept-art.html. Here's my follow-up post and some revised material. I wish I could do more but I only have a week to do it all. 

The designs were ok, but I noticed several things while I was making the blog post, namely - Jenny's eyes doesn't have depth and solidity, the cartoon itself could prove to be funnier if Jenny is a very young girl who still doesn't have body coordination then starts to act like a friggin' action star when she was wronged, and Ritchard Gale - the bad kid - could use a little more appeal. I read that somewhere in the illusion of life - villains should look appealing as well, people wouldn't like them but they're still pleasant to look at.

Here's what I came up with after dinner:



Not bad, not bad at all. Jenny is cuter than ever and still retains structure. I love drawing those cheeks. Her budget also got lower since she's made of more simpler shapes now, especially the hair.  Ritchard's shapes got a bit more appealing and he still looks like scum, an appealing scum, which is essential in moving the story forward. His arms also got an upgrade from rubber hose looking to a 1940's cartilaginous-boned macaroni. 

I'm surprised I did all of this in one day, maybe studying classic cartoon construction is starting to pay off for me. In any case, I don't have the luxury of time to revise this, I need to move forward to finalizing the storyboards tomorrow. That could prove to be a good thing. I just hope I can animate something before Sunday comes so I can get feedback in class. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment